Thursday, June 6, 2013

What do I wear for an aerial lesson / training and why

Many of my students ask me what to wear for a lesson and why.
The best thing to wear for an aerial lesson or a practice is a leotard and tights. Never wear Lycra though.
Lycra is very slippery and that is why it is very dangerous. One of the most frighting things happened to me during one of my shows, when i found out that my tights were VERY slippery and i couldn't catch myself or hang on to the hoop with my legs (This is a good lesson also, to always try your costume with your aerial apparatus before the show).

Why do we wear leotard and tights? Why not a track suit? or just a shirt with some shorts?

Well, leotard and tights are tight to your body, and actually give you the best protection. If you will wear shorts you will most likely to get burns from the hoop. The same will happen with loose pants.
Besides the protection, if you are upside down and you are wearing a loose T-shirt, it can fall over your face, and you don't want this to happen to you.

What about your feet?
We usually train barefoot, this is the best way to catch the apparatus with your toes and fingers.
Always remember to take good care of your feet, wash them and clean them when and if you are sharing mattress with other people.
You can always put some ankle supports to protect your feet from the pain (i will post a link to ankles support at the end of this post).

Here is a great and a very funny video blog that I found about cloths for training and performing called:

The Great Boobie Caper – Aerial Necklines in Training & Performance

 

Here are some photos of what I wear when i practice

 



Here is the link i promised for ankles support



 

Enjoy and please let me know what you think of it. 

xxx
Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment